Applications for entry into either the M.S. or Ph.D. programs should be made on the standard Graduate School Form, listing "Materials Engineering", for the major. These applications are forwarded to the Office of the Dean of Engineering for preliminary evaluation in accordance with the general admission requirements of the Cullen College of Engineering. Applications are then forwarded to the Director of the Materials Science and Engineering Program for evaluation. The Director is appointed by the Dean of Engineering and operates according to the administrative procedures recommended in the rules of Procedure of the Graduate Standards Committee.
- A Bachelor's or Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, materials science, metallurgy, physics, chemistry, geology or closely related fields of physical sciences.
- A minimum of 79 on the TOEFL for all students whose native language is not English.
- GRE General scores to be sent directly to the program.
- Students on F-1 or J-1 visas are required by U.S. law to be enrolled as full-time students.
- Only full-time students are eligible to receive financial support from the University in the form of scholarships, academic fellowships, teaching fellowships or assistantships, research fellowships or assistantships, or other comparable forms of support.
- Up to 6 credit hours of course work (post-baccalaureate) may be transferred from another institution with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies.
- No course used for a prior degree can be repeated or applied to another degree.
- Changing degree programs requires approval of the Director of Graduate Studies and of the research advisor and may result in withdrawal of departmental financial support.
- UH Graduate School Application
- $50 Application Fee (cannot be waived)
- Scanned copies of official transcript will be used for the application evaluation. If admitted Official Transcript must be submitted to the Graduate School before enrollment can take place.
- GRE scores (University code is 6870)
- Statement of Purpose form (uploaded)
- Resume (uploaded)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (uploaded)
Application Checklist for International Students*
*International applicants must follow the same application checklist as listed above, but must pay $80 for the application fee and provide the following additional items:
- $80 Application fee (cannot be waived)
- TOEFL scores (uploaded)
- Financial backing letter (pdf file) (uploaded)
- Copy of passport (uploaded)
If you have any questions, please contact:
Program Manager 2
University of Houston
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Engineering Building 1 (579), Rm S335
4726 Calhoun Rd
Houston, TX 77024
Email: cdawson [at] central [dot] uh [dot] edu